Super foods are normally things like seeds, berries and fruits that are thought to be exceptionally good for us - but MARINE ALGAE can be too.
Algae is packed fill of high levels of important nutrients such as Vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12 and calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, E and K, potassium, selenium, and magnesium. Algae contains Omega-3 Fatty Acids too! A study that compared algae oil with a serving of cooked salmon found that they each have roughly the same content of Omega-3s, which are essential to supporting heart health, and have been found to lower blood pressure. Most importantly, it is one of the best natural sources of Iodine, a nutrient that is missing from most other foods, and is also essential for a healthy functioning thyroid gland. Blue-green algae have also been lauded for its anti-inflammatory and disease-preventing properties, with research ongoing as to the breadth of this superfood’s power. Rarely will you see the term “BLUE-GREEN ALGAE” spelled out on the menu board of your favorite smoothie shop or listed as an ingredient in your favorite superfood energy bites. So, here are the forms of blue-green algae that you’re most likely to encounter, and, hopefully, incorporate into your daily dietary routine.
Green Super Foods or Green algae such as Chlorella, Blue Green Aglae such as Spirulina are very rich in Chlorophyll the rich green color that comes from these super foods and foods such as leafy greens such as kale, spinach, collard greens and dandelion greens.
Benefits of Green Superfoods:
· Are an anti-oxidant and boost your immune system,
· Are anti-inflammatory and help fights against and prevent disease, cancer and tumors
· Boost energy levels and decrease fatigue,
· Reduce stress, anxiety and depression,
· Increase the chlorophyll and nutrients lost in our diet that we miss by the SAD diet,
· Heal cells on a cellular level and help promote human cell proliferation
· Reduce oxidative stress,
· Reduce constipation and increase mobility
· Lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels, lowers blood pressure and can help prevent strokes
· Detoxifies and can remove heavy metals from the body
· Improves memory
· Have anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties and help remove pathongens from the body
· Reduces allergies from hay fever, seasonal, airborne and even food.
· Improve digestive health and can fight against candida and other digestive disorders
· Aid in weight loss
Chlorella: Chlorella is a type of freshwater seaweed (green algae). Rich with phytonutrients, has complete profile of Essential and Non-Essential Amino Acids, Chlorophyll, Beta-carotene, Potassium, and the B-complex vitamins, Niacin, Biotin, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Pantothenic Acid, Iron, Calcium, Iodine, Magnesium, Zinc, and Phosphorus. It contains healthy amounts of protein and is considered a great source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids. Chlorella can bind to heavy metals and toxins aiding in detoxification. In animals, algae, including chlorella, has been found to weaken the heavy metal toxicity of the liver, brain and kidneys.
Furthermore, chlorella has been shown to help lower the amount of other harmful chemicals that are sometimes found in food. Dosage: Start with 1 gram of chlorella 3-4 times a day. You can increase the dose to up to 3 grams 3-4 times per day. While there are no known chlorella overdose incidents, there is no need to go above this limit to get the detox benefits chlorella provides. Children dose ¼ of adults dosing.
Spirulina: Spirulina is a potent source of nutrients. It contains a powerful plant-based protein called phycocyanin. Research shows this may have antioxidant, pain-relief, anti-inflammatory, and brain-protective properties. Many antioxidants in spirulina have anti-inflammatory effects in the body. Spirulina contains significant amounts of Calcium, Niacin, Potassium, Magnesium, Iron, B Vitamins, Vitamins C, D and E. It also has all the Essential Amino Acids and protein. Spirulina is known to be alkalizing to the body, which boosts liver function, a necessary element while detoxing. Spirulina contains chlorophyll which is used for “detoxification” by helping remove toxins such as heavy metals and other pollutants from the blood.
Organic blue-green algae are one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Two varieties, Spirulina and Aphanizomenon flos-aquae (AFA) or “invisible flower of the water” is also referred to as Klamath Blue Green Algae are the most consumed forms of Blue Green Algae.Both of these Blue Green Algae have superfood status due to high concentrations of proteins, vitamins and nutrients. Blue-green algae is 70% vegetable protein, contains the most chlorophyll of any of the Green Super Foods and has high levels of beta-carotene than carrots and broccoli. The one-two punch potency of blue-green algae contains high concentration of nutrients over 65 vitamins, such as Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin C and E, minerals and enzymes such as Copper, Selenium, Iron, Silicon, Zinc, Chromium, and the complete spectrum of 8 essential amino acids and 10 non-essential amino acids and they are all easily absorbed by the body (some supplements are as low as 5-25% absorbable).They contain the most biologically active chlorophyll of any known food. Blue Green Algae has rapid effects on the circulation and function of immune cells in humans.
There are also Alfalfa, Barley and Wheat Grasses that are equally beneficial to add into your daily green smoothie for added health benefits.
EAT YOUR SEA VEGETABLES (Wakame, Dulse for example) they area by including sea vegetables in their diets, people may experience health benefits from a variety of minerals and antioxidants that have anticancer properties, that help support cardiovascular health, blood sugar stabilization, and provide antioxidant and anti-inflammatory support. Sea veggies are also chockfull of chlorophyll and dietary fiber and they lend a salty flavor to foods which comes from a balanced combination of sodium, potassium, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and many other trace minerals naturally found in the ocean. Seaweed contains a wide range of vitamins and minerals, including iodine, iron, and calcium. Some types can even contain high amounts of vitamin B12. Moreover, it's a good source of Omega-3 fats.
Chlorophyll is also found in Alfalfa, Barley and Wheat Grasses that are just as beneficial.
Vitamins found in Green Super Foods:
What a great way to get in your daily nutrients through a super greens food powder.
· Vitamin B1 - Thiamine 4.70mcg* A protein builder that helps give hair shine, volume and good texture. Enhances circulation to bring nutrients to the scalp and nails.
· Vitamin B2 - Riboflavin 57.30mcg* Stimulates health and growth of hair, nails, skin cells. Helps eyes by bringing oxygen to body tissues. Can help eliminate dandruff. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Vitamin B3 -Niacin .065mg* Supports healthy hair, nail and skin by aiding in digestion and improving circulation.
· Vitamin B5 - Pantothenic Acid 130.00mcg* Helps produce full, healthy hair and stronger nails by stimulating vitamin utilization and releasing energy from food. With Folic Acid, it can help to restore your hair's natural color and may aid in preventing hair loss.
· Vitamin B6 - Pyridoxine 11.10mcg* Supports the growth of red blood cells that are important for healthy hair, scalp, and nail maintenance. Helps prevent dandruff. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Folic acid/Folate B9 1.00mcg* Helps maintain healthy hair, nails and skin. May aid in preventing hair loss. With Pantothenic acid, may delay graying of hair.
· Vitamin B12 - Cobalamine 8.00mcg* Stimulates health and growth of hair, nails, skin cells. Helps eyes by bringing oxygen to body tissues. Can help eliminate dandruff. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Vitamin C - 6.70mg* Supports hair and nail growth by improving circulation. Useful as treating dandruff. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Vitamin E - Tocopherol 1.70iu* Key to hair health, nail growth and supple skin by supplying oxygen to the body and improving circulation. Helps combat dandruff. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Copper 4.30mcg* Necessary for healthy hair, stronger nails. An important anti-graying agent.
· Iron 350.70mcg* Helps maintain healthy hair, nails and skin tone. May aid in preventing hair loss.
· Selenium 0.67mcg* Helps in treatment and prevention of dandruff. Necessary for healthy hair and nails. May also increase the elastic youthfulness of the skin and be helpful in removing age spots. When taken in the natural AFA form of selenomethionine, skin cancer incidence from ultraviolet light may also be reduced.
· Silicon 186.50mcg* This is a useful raw material for strengthening the human skin.
· Zinc 18.70mcg* Stimulates hair and nail growth. Aids in preventing hair loss. May help treat and prevent dandruff.
· Biotin 0.30mcg* Helps produce healthy-looking hair and nails.
· Lysine 35.00mg* An essential amino acid. Along with vitamin E and iron, lysine helps form collagen, an important skin protein.
· Methionine 7.00mg* Methionine is the rarest of the essential amino acids. Its sulfur content makes it important for skin and nail growth.
· Glycine 29.00mg* Glycine is a nonessential amino acid but has many healing properties. It is used orally and in ointments to heal wounds because skin collagen is a protein that requires high amounts of glycine.
· Proline 29.00mg* A nonessential amino acid and a main component of collagen. Proline is helpful in skin, seems to help in wound healing, as does glycine, because proline increases collagen synthesis.
· Serine 29.00mg* Serine is needed in the formation of the phospholipids of cell membranes and contributes to "membrane fluidity." It is good for the skin and has even been used as a natural moisturizer in skin creams.
· Betacarotene 2000iu* Protects the cell membranes and stimulates the growth of new skin cells.
· Chromium 0.53mg* Helps with acne.
If you would like to add a SUPER GREENS POWDER to your daily regimen and need some support in how, when and what types, please feel free to reach out, I can help get you set up and improving your health through from very simple tips.
Krista Zweers Certified Holistic Nutritionist and Lifestyle Specialist Certified Medical Cannabis Specialist 541-633-5568 www.nourishrevivethrive.net firstname.lastname@example.org
FB: Nourish Revive Thrive – Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle
IG: Nourish.Revive.Thrive and Medical Cannabis Mama